VH Tiếng Nói Văn Học Việt Houston VH

VVH Tiếng Nói Văn-Học Việt-Houston (Viet Voice From Houston). Xin gửi bài vở về địa chỉ wendynicolennduong@post.harvard.edu. Contributing articles and commentaries should be submitted to wendynicolennduong@post.harvard.edu.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Về vấn đề bản quyền (copyright) cho tác giả Việt Nam của các bài viết được đăng tải ở đây: Chúng tôi nhận được những bài viết này từ độc giả hoặc từ các môi trường truyền thông của các nhóm người Việt, vì tác phẩm đã được phổ biến ở một môi trường công cộng nào đó. Chúng tôi mạn phép đăng tải theo lời giới thiệu của độc giả, dưới thẩm quyền "fair use exception" của luật trước tác bản quyền, vì làm việc cho mục đích giáo dục quần chúng, không vụ lợi. Nếu độc giả nào biết tác giả, xin cho chúng tôi biết để gửi lời chính thức xin phép, hoặc nếu tác giả không bằng lòng, xin cho chúng tôi biết ngay để chúng tôi lấy bài xuống theo ý của tác giả.

disclaimer re content

Quan điểm của tác giả hay độc giả trình bày ở đây không phải là quan điểm của người hay nhóm chủ trương VVFH, và vì thế chúng tôi không chịu trách nhiệm về những quan điểm hay dữ kiện đưa ra bởi tác giả hay độc giả. The views and supporting facts expressed by the authors or commenters published here are not necessarily those expressed or endorsed by VVFH or its editors. Accordingly, VVFH disclaims liability with respect to such content.

MỤC ĐÍCH:

Lời nhắn với học trò Việt Nam của giáo sư WENDI NICOLE Dương, cựu học giả FULBRIGHT Hoa Kỳ và cựu giáo sư luật đại học Denver:


Cô thành lập tập san này là đề cố gắng giữ lại những cái đẹp trong văn hóa cội nguồn của Việt Nam, đã giúp chúng ta đứng vững trên hai ngàn năm, dựa trên những giá trị đặc thù của người Việt nhưng đồng thời cũng là giá trị tổng quát của nhân loại. Hy vọng TIENG NOI VAN HOC VIET-HOUSTON, gọi tắt là VH, hay VVFH (Viet Voice from Houston) sẽ đến với người Việt trên toàn thế giới, qua độc giả thích văn chương văn học trong cả hai ngôn ngữ Việt-Anh, từ bàn tay và ánh mắt của một số it học trò Việt đang sinh sống ở Mỹ hoặc ở Việt Nam, của chính cô, cũng như của thế hệ đi trước biểu tượng là cha mẹ cô, những giáo sư ngôn ngữ.


Wendi Nicole Duong (Nhu-Nguyen) tháng tư April 2015

TRIO OF WATER LILIES

TRIO OF WATER LILIES
TRIO OF WATER LILIES enamel, markers, pen and pencil on paper. artwork by Wendi Nicole Duong copyright 2013: in all three regions of Vietnam, one can always find Hoa Sung, water lilies!

Friday, July 28, 2017

A SHORT STORY TOLD IN POETIC PROSE BY UYEN NICOLE DUONG NHU-NGUYEN: On The Streets of Paris

A short story told in poetic prose:

On the streets of Paris

CHAPTER ONE:

Autumn is in the air,
I’m café-sitting,
somewhere in a neighborhood of Paris
(Montmartre? St. Germaine des Pres? Marais? Or the 13th District?
Well, it matters not
My Paris is where a dream is caught

I’m flashing a black-and-white photo,
already turning yellow,
curled and frayed,
as old as my way…

“Have you seen my childhood fiancé,” I ask, stopping pedestrians,
“I know not what he looks like now, except this,” I point to the black-haired boy,
docile in his white shorts and socks,
sitting on some steps, some porch,
some house, somewhere on Earth,
Next to a wide-eyed girl, with a bow on her hair,
a flower she holds, debonair,
her right arm swung over his shoulder, to love is to care

“A pair we were,” I say, proudly,
“this photograph: our lives,
as grand as this Parisian sky.”

I close the flaps of my Bohemian scarf,
and smile at the sight of my other half

Soon, winter will hit us with its cold air,
and Paris will turn as white as my hair, ‘
the falling strands will split even more,
 to the rhythm of Parisian snow

Fellow pedestrians, I declare solemnly,
Help me find him, till eternity
I want to find him before the cold gets us
And ask him to make whole for the two of us

And tell him, too:
France has long left L’Indochine
The Liberation Army has withdrawn from our beloved Hue
the Tet Offensive cries not yet forgotten
already Boat People have crossed the ocean
The country now has a new boss
Sweet childhood is forever lost

Around me, the pedestrians of Paris whisper:
Are you the witch of Brunswick
playing the old gypsies’ trick?
Or the madwoman of Chaillot, 
looking for her predestined beau?

Oh no, I say,
I have my way
He who was taller, nicer, but not wiser:
When we played house, he was my butler
Playing doctor, he was my patient
Playing classroom, he was my student
I once gave him an order:
Go first, brave one, and return to stay, forever…

“We look good together,” I point
“Two lovely children,” the pedestrians marvel, with disbelief:
“Madame, this photo no longer exists
Your memory, maybe, but not his
Childhood was gone, so was the promise!”

“Do you remember, Madame, Who, When, and Where?”

Reality kicks in:
Who, When, and Where?
I cover my face with my scarf
and stagger down, near-collapse
Too much café sitting should make me weep
So let me bend, and forever sleep…


CHAPER TWO:

It is then that I hear him,
A man who looks covered in dust:
Old like a picture book,
Yet young like tomorrow,
He’ll stop the Parisian snow…

“Madam,” it is I who know Who, When, and Where
WHO: it’s your poodle Kiki,
Like the essence of me,  
who nestles next to your feet
to keep you warm, loved, and safe

WHEN: A time that belongs only to us,
captured in a photograph
that survives the ocean
and resets the clock, our life has just begun 

WHERE: Our imperial city of Hue has a French architect
who builds a stucco villa with limestones that crack
For us, he paints it white
To give us the color of sunshine

So I open my eyes and look
Here is the man, white-haired, frail and stooping over a cane, but his eyes sparkle a thousand words
He knows about the white villa, my imperial Hue, and my Kiki
He knows what it’s like to have been me

He is extending his hand…

So I get back on my feet, and reach out, as the pedestrians part:
“Here come les Gendarmes, take the old woman, and her scarf…”

“Your passport, Madame, vous etes …Vietnamienne?”
“No, that part is gone. L’Amerique, L’Amerique…
I don’t need a shelter for that which no longer exists”

Yet I see the old man, who turns and speaks
“everything is fine,” he nods to the French police

“Madame,  you can still have your dream on the streets of Paris
The photograph is yours, and also his
Here is your passport back…Madame, you are American,
This gentleman will take you home, and he is…Canadian!”

UND copyright July 28 2017

DNN copyright 7/28/2017 A sh

1 comment:

  1. I am astounded at the power of your words and the great expanse of your mind. Really! Hats off!

    Lê Tuấn

    ReplyDelete